- This event has passed.
The Statewide Sexual Assault Kit (SAK) Tracking System: What Advocates Need to Know to Support Victims/Survivors
January 11 @ 10:00 am - 11:00 am
For MNCASA members and partners
Advocates play a vital role in the response to sexual violence, providing support, resources, and information to victims/survivors. However, there have been few opportunities for advocates to learn about the recently implemented statewide tracking system tool created for victims/survivors of sexual assault. Advocates are often one of the first professionals that victims/survivors will contact for information after a medical forensic exam. Training and information about the sexual assault kit tracking system can enhance the services advocates provide and advance victim/survivor-centered practices in sexual assault kit reform. Advocates who attend this webinar will receive information regarding the newly implemented sexual assault kit (SAK) tracking system and learn ways they can support victims/survivors navigating this new tool.
- Briefly examine the history of sexual assault kit legislation and statutory requirements in Minnesota.
- Appreciate the benefits and limitations of the tracking system using a victim/survivor-centered, intersectional, and trauma-informed lens.
- Reflect on the benefits and limitations of the tracking system and how that might inform advocacy response.
- Examine sample victim/survivor views of the tracking system to appreciate the tool’s impact and better anticipate victim/survivor questions and concerns.
- Identify consent-based practices and techniques to protect personal privacy when victims/survivors request advocacy’s support with the tracking system tool.
Linda Walther- RN, SANE A
Linda Walther is the Clinical Coordinator for the Statewide Medical Forensic Policy Program at MNCASA. Linda has 45 years of nursing experience and has been a Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) for 15 years. Linda is a SANE A with the Regions SANE Program and provides trainings on the medical forensic exams for hospitals and coordinates SANE trainings in Minnesota.
ASL interpretation and live, auto-captioning will be provided if needed. Please let us know how we can make this training accessible to you when you register.